Blue Ridge Schools intend to host 2-3 Parent Academies throughout the school year to give Parents and Guardians time to learn about curriculum, resources, and programs that will help them support their child's learning and development. Each event will have information that is useful for families with students in all grade levels. A light meal is provided for attendees and their children, and childcare is available. Boosters, Blue Ridge PIE, and Blue Ridge Educational Foundation are assisting with costs for the events.
The following Parent Academies are planned for 2016-17:
- September 1, 2016 - The Why and How of the New Math Standards and Instruction. Location: Schneider School. ISU Professor Dr. Cindy Pulley speaks on the reasoning behind the new math standards and changes in how we teach math. Following this session, parents can go to grade level presentations on how to help their child with homework.
- Click here to see handouts from our Parent Academy Sessions.
- November 10, 2016 - Promoting Student Success. Location: BRHS. Sessions will include:
- How to promote a "Growth Mindset" in your child
- Career discussions to have with your child.
- Alcohol and Drug Prevention through the "Talk Campaign"
- The new SAT and resources to support your child's learning
- Click here to see handouts from our Parent Academies